Monday 4 April 2016

How to print a good 3D print out ...

Let me share with everyone how to get a good print out.
First since 3D printer is a precision equipment, if your components are not precise, you will never get a good printout for a reasonable time. eg, use of  threaded rod may not be ideal for a long time.


Let's assume, you have a structurally stable and good print head or extruder.

First in order to print well, look at the first layer. If it print well, you will more likely to get a good printout. If it does not, the structure will move and you will a pile of rubbish.. what do I mean by a good first layer. Assume that you had calibrated the flow rate and you do not get something like this....









1) Print bed slanted - You will see one side is crushed and the other side does not stick well.
Remedy : make the bed flat or it could be your print head  is slanted.

2) Print head too high - the print out just does not stick to surface .
Remedy : I prefer to adjust the Z offset in my slicer program. it is easier because your are talking about probably 0.1 to 0.4 mm. Adjust your stop switch will be tough.

3) print head too low - will cause excessive adhesion to surface. Filament will get compressed on the surface and if you see carefully, you will see that it is very flat and enjoy your hard time getting the pieces out of the heated bed.  I prefer to adjust this by the Z-offset also. It is easier.











This print out is good. A little more will crush and compressed the print out.


Next let's talk about the various type of surface to print on.
1) kapton tape:  My experience is, it is not very sticky and in the surface is too little , the printout will dropout. So I will definitely put a raft layer as a interface layer.  I use it on the Felix printer.

2) Uhu Glue on glass - The prusa I have is using UHu glue on glass. It sticks really well. even when the base is small. Usually I apply 1 time, I can use it for many print.

3) Blue painter tape: the adhesion is pretty strong also, but sometime, it just come out with the printout. So I find it quite a trouble to reapply the blue tape.

I will edit with more pictures when I gather them ...

No comments:

Post a Comment